BLOG: Gourmet on a Budget: Smoky Chorizo Tomato Pasta
A nice (and tasty!) little recipe from one of our 4Youth Community members.
I first came across this recipe when my parents came to visit me at uni. My then housemate and good friend offered to cook and wow oh wow!
This utter beauty of this recipe is how simply yet delicious it is. With only a handful of ingredients you can truly whip up a storm. This dish should take only around 15 minutes to cook, and you’ll only need 5-7 ingredients. Let’s go…
- 2 medium white onions
- Half a chorizo, finely chopped
- A LOT of garlic (we’re talking 4 or 5 cloves)
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- Parmesan (optional)
- Begin by sweating the onions in some oil (olive if you’re feeling particularly luxurious). Don’t cook them too much though, we just want them to get a bit of a sweat on!
- Add in the chopped chorizo and fry real good till your whole house smells smoky and delicious
- Add in the garlic and let it all mingle together in a taste sensation
- If you’d like, add a few chilli flakes to give it that spicy kick!
- Once the chorizo and onions are cooked, add in the tinned tomatoes and tomato puree. Stir all together and let it stew for about 5-8 minutes, until its thickened and bubbling happily away. At this point you should also season to taste
- Meanwhile, get your pasta on to boil; extra points if it’s long and thin – I love a spaghetti or linguini with this one
- Add some pasta water to your sauce and stir in to make it nice and creamy
- Once your pasta is cooked, mix it in with the sauce and make sure all the pasta is coated
- Serve with parmesan, or just on its own and enjoy the smoky tomatoey meaty flavour